Thursday 24 February 2011

why the name of my blog?

So, I hope that some of you reading are new to landscape architecture or for those that aren't you will already understand our predicament.
Someone silly called our profession "Landscape Architecture" some years back. Yes I could quote some facts here about who did, when and why, but who gives a crap really. I read about it in a book once.
Basically, this title (in particular in the UK, where this profession sadly trails the rest of the world) is a pretty misleading (read: terrible) description of what we do. We spend too much time having to explain what it means.
So, just to be clear; no, I cannot design your garden. It should be noted that garden designers actually have to go through a lot of training to do what they do well, so it would, in fact, be in an insult to them to consider I could well design a garden, when we study that area only briefly.
I fear I am about to quote from wiki, my apologies, but:
"Landscape architecture is the design of outdoor and public spaces to achieve environmental, socio-behavioral, and/or aesthetic outcomes. It involves the systematic investigation of existing social, ecological, and geological conditions and processes in the landscape, and the design of interventions that will produce the desired outcome."
So, do you get it?
Anyway, on this blog I make a foray into the apparently mysterious and incredibly diverse world of landscape architecture. Join me and I promise to make you laugh now and then. And maybe teach you something new.
I intend to share and tell stories (well, we all love to talk in my family), tell you some more about our incredible land and planet, show you some brilliant things from around the world to marvel at and unravel the complexity of design.  
Well, I do love a challenge...

2 comments: