Saturday 26 November 2011

most important thing I learned from the Wood Wharf competition

For those of my non-student friends who read this, we had to enter a competition to design the landscape of a site in Canary Wharf (where most of you work funnily enough) I can't put up what I did yet until we hear the results.
Anyway, it was basically like a giant car park and it's going to have marquees on and events during the Olympics. It's right near where Phil lives actually, passed it on the way to his birthday party last week, haha. Yes, I stopped and took more unnecessary pics.
So! I had my idea, guessed some sizes of my installations blah blah blah. Now I have been doing this a while, yet I learned something very simple, but so helpful. I went to the nearby large space of Blackheath Vale. I measured my stride and walked out the size of the site.
TOTALLY NOT WHAT I THOUGHT.
So it showed me that its hard sometimes to judge the size of an area when it is in context and very useful to walk it out on a blank canvas, as it were. I felt much more engaged with the scale that way. My installation sizes completely changed as a result and I could really visualise their placement.
So that's my tip of the day/week. Tell me yours if you want. 

1 comment:

  1. Those little 'eureka' moments when things click into place ... and then you wonder if you're the last to get it!

    Good luck with the course.

    ReplyDelete