Wednesday 25 January 2012

Playa de Gandia promenade precedent

one of the precedents I have used for my masterplan is Playa de Gandia, which is in Spain near Valencia. We used to go there every year (the first time I went I was 5 months old) and it was the time we spent together as a whole family. Over the years I have seen it redesigned, redeveloped, in good and bad ways and in the past few years they have finally done a great job.
I got my family nickname of "little legs" from never being able to keep up with my Dad as we walked along the promenade when it finally got cooler in the evening and Gandia would be buzzing with people.
They've put in a cycle path, beautiful benches and put all the parking underground. There are sculptural shelters and (well-used) exercise machines on the beach. There are lots of ramps for wheelchairs and buggies which is ideal for the demographic here - Grandma and baby all go together with the rest of the family and Aunts and Uncles to the beach every day and everyone has different needs to cater for. It's where the Madridians go for the whole of August as Madrid gets too hot.
Anyway, I used my experience of their promenade as a starting point for my promenade and in particualr when Jamie suggested I think again about putting my cyclist route on the seafront, I thought back to Gandia and remembered how successful it was putting it next to the road (easy access for them to the rest of the town, less pedestrians, more direct path etc).


No comments:

Post a Comment