Tuesday 15 March 2011

sugar overload

I am eating a trillion minstrels whilst studying. After looking at calcs all day at work and coming home cream- crackered, I then had to sit down and study. Again. So, in went the sugar/cake/tea. Repeat. This resulted in me no longer worrying about my seminar and coming to the conclusion that I really can talk about anything quite merrily and so I decided to wing it, slap a few pics in, then I danced round my flat to Chopin whilst popping some more minstrels. After hitting predictable sugar low, Radox promised me they could "revive" me. Nope. Well, it did long enough for me to decide my powerpoint is dire.
Ah, it will be fine! It is frustrating on my course that I know in the real world my clear communication skills (note to employers, haha) will serve me well and I have been told in appraisals time and again that I have excellent "persuading and negotiating skills", well I did work in arbitration for 5 years (turning out to be very useful, in fact)  and was essentially trained how to argue at Philosophy A Level! So I know I will be able to "sell" (hate hate that word) my schemes and explain ideas clearly, but on this course it seems to count for so little when it comes to your mark. I am just never going to be the best at autocad or drawing. Frustrating that this counts for so much. Yes, I am repeating myself. But it reminds me of last year when I was in the SWA office in Texas (oooh name dropping there-for non Landscape Architects, this is a very well respected company) they said to me: "everyone here can draw well, so it means nothing. Now someone who can present well to the client or can do a brilliant write up to explain a concept - they are valuable and sought out." Got to keep reminding myself of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment